Horns of Elfland

The thoughts of an Evanglical Christian who needs some expresso. Musings on High Fantasy, Celtic Christianity, and life in general.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Paganism of Childhood

 Galatians 41   Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;2   But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.3   Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:4   But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,5   To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.6   And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.7   Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.8   Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.9   But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?10   Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.11   I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labor in vain.
 
C.S. Lewis in his book Surprised by Joy mentions that he was a Pagan before he became a Christian.  In other words, he was more in line with a Pagansitic belief or worldview than that of Christianity.

I would have to agree with that conclusion in my life also. I think most people start out life with a more Paganistic persuasion. Now I have never really been a hardcore "NeoPagan" myself so I won't speak for them.

Most Children have a sort of a natural Paganism. Just like a culture might try to pacify the "rain god"; most children believe that they can form deals with their deity of choice.

I very clearly remember how I tried to concoct a deal with God, if he would only get me a new television. There was a sweepstakes and I was quite mad when God did not pull through for me. Now I doubt any of you had a relationship as materialistic towards my god as me, but I am sure we all tried to make deals with God. That dealmaking is a sign that I was still under bondage to the elements of this world.

God, YHWH does not make deals. He is a very adult God. Job tried to make a deal with God and in the end he closed his mouth. Jacob wanted the blessing and he wrestled with God all night.  Jacob's blessing was that he would walk with a limp for the rest of his life, he would know that he was weak without God.

I think we all prefer the god of our childhood that we can make deals with,  but God wants us to grow up.

What do you think?

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home